U.S. Banning Large Electronic Devices as Carry-On from Some Mideast Origins Based on Intel from Yemen Raid

Posted by on Mar 21, 2017 at 9:18 am

Curious how this news isn’t being met with the typical shrieking hysteria from the left. Apparently Democrats have seen the intel and aren’t having conniptions.

The Trump administration confirmed Tuesday it is imposing new restrictions on electronic devices carried by travelers coming to the United States from 10 airports mainly in the Middle East and North Africa in response to unspecified terror threats.

The Department of Homeland Security will require passengers coming to the United States from airports in Jordan, Egypt, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Morocco and Qatar to check electronic devices larger than a cell phone such as tablets, portable DVD players, laptops and cameras.

The airports affected are in Amman, Cairo, Kuwait City, Doha, Dubai, Istanbul, Abu Dhabi, Casablanca, Morocco; Riyadh and Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

Officials said the decision had nothing to do with President Donald Trump’s efforts to impose a travel ban of six majority-Muslim nations. A DHS spokeswoman said the government “did not target specific nations. We relied upon evaluated intelligence to determine which airports were affected.”

On March 6, Trump signed a revised executive order banning citizens from Iran, Libya, Syria, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen from traveling to the United States for 90 days. Two federal judges have halted parts of the ban, saying it discriminates against Muslims. Trump has vowed to appeal up to the Supreme Court if necessary.

All 10 airports are in majority-Muslim countries.

The airports are served by nine carriers that fly directly from those cities to the United States about 50 times a day and include Royal Jordanian Airlines, Egypt Air, Turkish Airlines, Saudi Arabian Airlines, Kuwait Airways [KA.UL], Royal Air Maroc, Qatar Airways, Emirates and Etihad Airways, senior government officials said.

The airlines have until Friday to comply with the new restrictions that will be in place indefinitely.

Remember the feigned outrage from the left after that raid in which a Navy SEAL was killed? Looks like this ban arose from intel gleaned there.

Reuters reported Monday that the move had been under consideration since the U.S. government learned of a threat several weeks ago.

U.S. officials have told Reuters that the information gleaned from a U.S. commando raid in January in Yemen which targeted al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula included bomb-making techniques.

AQAP, based in Yemen, has plotted to down U.S. airliners and claimed responsibility for 2015 attacks on the office of Charlie Hebdo magazine in Paris. AQAP also has boasted of the world’s most feared bomb makers, Ibrahim Hassan al-Asiri.

In 2010, security officials in Britain and Dubai intercepted parcel bombs being sent from Yemen to the United States.

We’re sure someone in one of the affected countries will pop up on television with a crying child who can’t play with their iPad on a long flight and Trump will be portrayed as a heartless monster.

In other words, business as usual.

Update: Well, it didn’t take long to gin up the hysteria:


It’s Buzzfeed, so fake news, of course.

And we sure called this one:

One Response to “U.S. Banning Large Electronic Devices as Carry-On from Some Mideast Origins Based on Intel from Yemen Raid”

  1. triggered snowflake on 21/21/17 at 1:28 pm

    OMG! This is like so racist. The diabolical Trumphitler and his KGB handler Vlad Putin are behind this.
    Didn’t the Drumpführer learn from the activist judge’s ruling that everyone has a right to come to America and live off the milk and honey provided by the taxpayers.
    How can poor downtrodden women and children register to vote democrat if they don’t have their devices?
    Paper forms to register to vote democrat are not eco-friendly comrade.