When Peter Schweizer appeared on “This Week” on April 26th to promote his new book about the Clintons, he got a skeptical grilling from host George Stephanopoulos. One subject that wasn’t raised? The fact that Stephanopoulous has personally contributed $50,000 to the Clinton Foundation, as Politico reported this morning.
With the ABC host’s donations suddenly in the spotlight, Schweizer feels he got burned. “Really quite stunned by this,” he said in an email. It’s “a massive breach of ethical standards. He fairly noted my four months working as a speech writer for George W. Bush. But he didn’t disclose this?”
Evidently not. In a statement, Stephanopoulos apologized. An ABC News spokesman toldPolitico reporter Dylan Byers the network would not take punitive action against its star host: “We accept his apology. It was an honest mistake.”
Meanwhile, the GOP is now facing massive heat for having a primary debate scheduled on the discredited network.
How do you solve a problem like mens rea? Easy: by banning it from participating in any 2016 presidential debates. That’s a no-brainer. Under no circumstances should George Stephanopoulos be allowed by the Republican National Committee to set foot on any debate stage. By his actions, he has proven he cannot be trusted to be an objective, transparent, and accountable debate moderator. But it shouldn’t stop there.
ABC News, if it cares one whit about its reputation, should ban Stephanopoulos from doing any 2016 campaign coverage. It’s bad enough that he was once a Clinton White House staffer. But everyone went along with the charade that his political days were behind him and that he just wanted to be an objective reporter. That charade ends today.
From what we can gather so far only Rand Paul has been bright enough to say Stephanopoulos should have nothing to do with any debates.
Republican Sen. Rand Paul said Thursday that ABC News anchor George Stephanopoulos should be prohibited from moderating any debates during the 2016 presidential campaign because of contributions he made to the Clinton Foundation.
“It’s impossible to divorce yourself from that, even if you try,” Paul told The New York Times. “I just think it’s really, really hard because he’s been there, so close to them, that there would be a conflict of interest if he tried to be a moderator of any sort.”
It’s just going to keep getting worse for ABC.
Stephanopoulos says he gave $50,000, but is listed as a $50,001-$100K donor. Maybe just another foundation oopsie. https://t.co/fWt6hD0VBB
— Andrew Stiles (@AndrewStilesUSA) May 14, 2015