On Wednesday we were told there were 18 people, including children, who were in contact with the Liberian man with Ebola. Well, now it’s up more than 80.
More than 80 people have had at least indirect contact with an Ebola patient in Dallas, Texas health officials say.
On Wednesday, officials said 12 to 18 people were potentially exposed to the patient, identified as Thomas Eric Duncan, a Liberian national who had recently flown to Dallas. According to Dallas County Health and Human Services, officials have gathered the names of additional individuals who have been in contact with those 12 to 18.
Meanwhile, state and county health officials have ordered four family members Duncan stay at home and not have any visitors until at least October 19.
The local health department had previously instructed Duncan’s family to stay home. A public health control order was issued to ensure compliance.
“We have tried-and-true protocols to protect the public and stop the spread of this disease,” said Commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services Dr. David Lakey. “This order gives us the ability to monitor the situation in the most meticulous way.”
The orders — which were hand-delivered to family members Wednesday evening by local health officials — legally require that the family must stay at home until October 19 at the earliest. Also, no visitors will be allowed without the approval of local or state health departments.