These Obama supporters sure are greedy. Have they noticed how miserable the economy is these days thanks to the guy they supported for the White House? Seriously, it’s time for a reality check, folks.
The SEIU’s proposed new contract with the city includes calls for:
– A 15 percent raise over the next three years.
– A $21-an-hour minimum wage for all city workers.
– Fully paid health coverage for single workers, 98 percent paid coverage for couples and 85 percent coverage for families.
– A free clinic just for city workers to go along with the health coverage.
– A free $50,000 life insurance policy for SEIU workers. Seven other city unions already have free life insurance.
Why not just demand a free Mercedes and free gas card?
The union has dropped its call for a $76-a-month commuter subsidy and premium pay while off on paid holidays.
The city is countering with a 2.5 percent raise over two years, and no clinic, no free life insurance and a health care package of 93 percent coverage for singles and couples and 83 percent for families.
“This is about income equality,” said Larry Bradshaw, vice president of SEIU Local 1021. He noted that when times were lean, workers took cuts. Now with the economy on the upswing, he said, they deserve their share.
The economy is on the upswing? Really?
SEIU workers employed by the city now earn an average of $33 an hour, plus benefits. More than 1,300 of them – mainly nurses and those in supervisory positions – made more than $100,000 last year.
They have nurses making more than $100,000 and they want income equality? Get real.