Mostly Peaceful Protests Turn Violent

Posted by on Dec 07, 2014 at 9:33 am

This “mostly peaceful” canard is so ridiculous, but the media still runs with it.

Mostly peaceful protests of a grand jury’s decision not to indict a white police officer in the chokehold death of an unarmed black man continued around the country, but authorities said a march in California turned violent when a splinter group smashed windows and threw objects at police.

A Berkeley police officer received hospital treatment for a dislocated shoulder after being hit with a sandbag, while another sustained minor injuries, police spokeswoman Jenn Coats said.

She said several businesses were looted and damaged when a splinter group broke off from the peaceful demonstration Saturday night, and officers attempting to get the crowd to disperse used smoke and tear gas. Protesters threw rocks, bricks, bottles, pipes and other objects at officers, and some squad cars were damaged.

At least six people had been arrested by the time the unrest ended early Sunday morning, Coats said.

Maybe we should call it a violent movement now.

Police arrested five adults and a juvenile on unspecified allegations, said Officer Jennifer Coats, a Berkeley police spokeswoman. Coats said protesters vandalized police vehicles and threw various objects at officers, including bricks, pipes, rocks and bottles. Some threw back smoke grenades that had been lobbed by officers, she said. One officer suffered a dislocated shoulder after being hit by a sandbag, she said.

But many protesters complained that they were subjected to excessive force.

It wasn’t just protesters who were gassed.

Minutes before the police dispersed the crowd at about 10:30, several concerts had let out downtown. Well-dressed concertgoers waiting to pay in a nearby garage were enveloped in a cloud of stinging gas, sending them running into elevators.

“I’m not sure that’s necessary,” said Elaine Dunlap, 74, who had just attended a Paul Dresher concert at Zellerbach Playhouse. “I think people have a right to protest, certainly for an issue as big as this.”

She was sitting with her husband, Greg, tears streaming down their faces.

“I’ve never experienced that and I’m an old hippie,” she said.

Hundreds of protesters marched through Berkeley Saturday night, chanting, tossing bottles and smashing windows as police tried to control the violence.

Organizers had planned a peaceful march, but windows were broken and wine bottles smashed at a Trader Joe’s store near Martin Luther King and University Avenue, while masked looters broke into a Radio Shack store and grabbed merchandise. Protesters also broke windows at a Wells Fargo Bank.

At about 7 p.m., the Berkeley BART Station was shut down by the disturbances, with the North Berkeley station closed an hour later.

At Delaware Street and San Pablo Avenue about 7:30 p.m., the marchers were face-to-face with a line of about 100 police in riot gear who turned the crowd back toward the campus.

“You’re f—ing cowards,” screamed one skateboard-carrying young man, his face hidden by a black bandanna. “You don’t represent us,” a woman shouted at police.

Cowards, says the brave man hiding his face.

Comments are closed.