Don’t worry, Team Obama will come up with some other scheme to try and silence the 1%. The 1% of the media that doesn’t kiss his ass, that is.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is pulling the plug on a controversial study that critics warned would have threatened the First Amendment right to freedom of the press.
A spokeswoman with the commission said on Friday that a pilot version of the study would be suspended and redesigned so that journalists would not have to answer the FCC’s questions about their work.
“To be clear, media owners and journalists will no longer be asked to participate in the Columbia, S.C., pilot study,” Shannon Gilson said in a statement.
“The pilot will not be undertaken until a new study design is final. Any subsequent market studies conducted by the FCC, if determined necessary, will not seek participation from or include questions for media owners, news directors or reporters.”
Worth noting is most of the media ignored this story. They’re all for it as long as it impugns Fox News and talk radio. The idea they’d try something like this should terrify another who actually believes in journalism. Those who don’t are conspicuously silent.
Ajit Pai, a Republican member of the FCC, wrote an op-ed last week worrying that the effort would “thrust the federal government into newsrooms across the country.”
He cheered the FCC’s change in course on Friday.
“This is an important victory for the First Amendment,” he said in a statement. “And it would not have been possible without the American people making their voices heard. I will remain vigilant that any future initiatives not infringe on our constitutional freedoms.”
Update: As we said, this won’t deter the scheming Obama zombies from pressing forward.