Something conveniently overlooked with the news that some of the Benghazi terrorists have allegedly been charged.
Officials confirmed to Fox News and other media outlets on Tuesday that several suspects have been charged in connection with the September 2012 attack on the U.S. compound in eastern Libya. The confirmation comes just days after Republicans complained directly to new FBI Director James Comey about the perceived lack of progress in the investigation.
But while charges have been filed, it’s not clear whether any arrests have been made. One of the known suspects who was charged, Ahmed Khattalah, recently gave an interview to CNN. He also spoke with Fox News last October, acknowledging he was at the scene of the attack while denying he was a “ringleader.” He said he was not on the run, and that no U.S. officials had made an effort to contact or detain him — the interview was conducted in an open terrace area of a Benghazi hotel.
Issa, R-Calif., in a written statement noted that charges do not necessarily lead to arrests.
“Osama bin Laden had been criminally charged long before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, but was not apprehended,” he said. “Delays in apprehending the suspected Benghazi killers will only put American lives at further and needless risk.”
The Obama administration was staying mum on reports of the Benghazi charges. Asked about the reports, a Justice Department official said only that their investigation is “ongoing.”