Gomez should prepare for an especially vicious Markey now that the Cook Report has declared this race a tossup. Here are a few tips for the Republican challenger:
• Don’t apologize for calling Markey “pond scum.” He deserved it for putting your picture next to Osama Bin Laden. The shoe fits.
• Go after Markey for bragging about his Obamacare vote. In 2010, being against the government takeover of health care helped elect Scott Brown.
• With each taxpayer owing $148,000 toward the national debt, hold Markey accountable for his zero rating with Citizens Against Government Waste. Any first-grader could find waste to cut in the federal government.
• Set the record straight on the phony people’s pledge. Markey started off this campaign with $3 million in his war chest from lobbyists and PACs. His demand that you limit groups from advertising on your behalf is as phony as his Malden address.
• Ask Markey to list all the taxes he has supported over the past three decades. Be prepared to start listing them. There are 271 of them.
• If you have any tattoos, don’t offer to show them.
• Quote U.S. Rep. Stephen F. Lynch on Markey being a liar. It will help win over blue-collar Democrats.
• Ask Markey if he can define the term “middle class.” If Lizzy Warren is in the audience, she won’t be able to give him a lifeline.