NBC News reporter Pete Williams identified one of the gunman who attacked the Washington Navy Yard on Monday morning as Aaron Alexis, 34, of Ft. Worth, Texas. Alexis was killed at the scene, but police have asked for Washington D.C. residents to remain on the lookout for two additional suspects.
“There’s only one confirmed gunman and authorities say he’s 34-year-old Aaron Alexis of Fort Worth, Texas,” Williams reported. “That he had just recently begun working as a civilian contractor for the Navy.
Update: That indeed is the suspected shooter, who originally hails from Queens, NY.
The gunman suspected in the mass shooting that left at least 12 dead and more injured at the Washington Navy Yard Monday was born in Queens, lived in the borough decades later and has relatives in Brooklyn, according to authorities and public records.
Aaron Alexis, a 34-year-old who last lived in Fort Worth, Texas, was born in Queens, registered to vote there and also applied for a weapon permit there, according to the FBI and public records.
Alexis also lived in Flushing from at least 2000 to 2002, where he is still registered to vote, according to public records.
Mr. Alexis had been detached from the Navy in January 2011 after an earlier gun arrest in Ft. Worth, Texas. Mr. Alexis had joined the Navy in May 2007, according to Navy records.
A defense official said that Mr. Alexis was pushed out of the military because of repeated incidents and arrests.
“There is no question there was a pattern of misconduct while in the Navy reserves,” the official said.
In a separate incident, Seattle police said Mr. Alexis had been arrested in 2004 for shooting out the tires of another man’s vehicle in an anger-fueled “blackout.” Mr. Alexis told police at the time he had been deeply disturrbed by events he witnessed during the attack of Sept. 11, 2001. Police said Mr. Alexis’s father said his son had been involved in 9/11 rescue efforts and had post-traumatic stress and anger-management issues.