So easy to throw a dead man under the bus, huh?
U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens, who died with three other Americans in last year’s attack in Benghazi, turned down offers of additional security from military personnel on two occasions, according to a report released late Tuesday from McClatchy newspapers.
The report cites two anonymous government officials who said “the senior U.S. military official in the region” twice approached Stevens with the offer, and Stevens twice declined. The report does not say why Stevens would have declined the offer.
Sen. Lindsay Graham (R-S.C.) called the revelation “odd.”
“That is odd to me because Stevens requested from the State Department additional security four times, and there was an 18-person special forces security team headed by Lt. Col. Wood that Gen. Ham signed off on that the State Department said no to,” he told McClatchy.
“The records are very clear that people on the ground in Libya made numerous requests for additional security that were either denied or only partially granted,” Graham said.