Once Obama reads about this in the papers he’s sure to wag his finger and issue a strongly worded condemnation.
Chemical weapons attacks have killed hundreds on the outskirts of Damascus, Syrian opposition activists say.
Rockets with toxic agents were launched at the suburbs of the Ghouta region early on Wednesday as part of a major bombardment on rebel forces, they say.
State-run news agency Sana said the claims were “baseless” and an attempt to distract UN weapons inspectors.
The main opposition alliance said that more than 650 people had been killed by the attacks.
Activist networks also reported death tolls in the hundreds, but these could not be independently confirmed.
UK Foreign Secretary William Hague called for the Syrian government “to allow immediate access to the area” for the investigators and said that Britain would raise the issue at the UN.
If confirmed, the attacks would mark a “shocking escalation in the use of chemical weapons in Syria”, Mr Hague said.
There is, of course, suspicion the stories of chemical attacks are bogus, so we’ll see.
Hamish de Bretton-Gordon, a former commanding officer at the UK’s Joint Chemical Biological Radiological Nuclear Regiment, told the BBC’s Today programme that the footage was “horrific” and agreed that it would be “very difficult to stage-manage”.
It was a year ago the failed president warned Syria about crossing a red line. How’s that working out?