Remember how eager the left was to release these poor guys? Yeah, about that. Eric Holder’s old law firm led the charge to free these maggots. I wonder if this guy was one of them.
One of the suspects in last week’s attack that killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans is a likely al Qaeda member who was released from Guantanamo Bay in 2007, Fox News reported Wednesday.
Sufya Ben Qumu, a Libyan, was released into Libyan custody under the agreement that he would remain in custody, unnamed “intelligence sources” told Fox. He is believed to have participated in, or maybe even led, the attack that killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and the three others.
Qumu has ties to people who financed the Sept. 11 attacks and his alias is “found on a list of probable Al Qaeda personnel receiving monthly stipends and family support,” according to Fox.
The report raises new doubts about whether the attacks were unplanned and prompted by a U.S.-made anti-Islam video, as the White House contends based on the available intelligence. Matthew Olsen, the director of the National Counterterrorism Center, told lawmakers on Wednesday that the assault was a “terrorist attack” but “opportunistic” rather than planned ahead.
Believe it or not, the New York Times last year called Qumu an ally of ours.
Today, Mr. Qumu, 51, is a notable figure in the Libyan rebels’ fight to oust Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi, reportedly a leader of a ragtag band of fighters known as the Darnah Brigade for his birthplace, this shabby port town of 100,000 people in northeast Libya. The former enemy and prisoner of the United States is now an ally of sorts, a remarkable turnabout resulting from shifting American policies rather than any obvious change in Mr. Qumu.