Shots Fired at Mostly Peaceful Occupy Oakland; Update: One Dead

Posted by on Nov 10, 2011 at 8:47 pm

This makes two shootings today. On the East Coast we’ve got a homicide victim at Occupy Burlington and now gunplay at one of the most notoriously violent but mostly  peaceful occupations in Oakland.

One person has been injured after multiple shots were fired near the Occupy Oakland encampment at Frank Ogawa Plaza.

The shooting took place just before 5 p.m. near the BART station adjacent to the plaza. One person has been injured.

A person who has been acting as a spokesman for the Occupy Oakland camp said the individual who was injured was likely hiding at the encampment from a person or a group of people before the shooting took place.

A crowd quickly formed near the scene of the shooting. Several photographres, including one for ABC7, was assaulted by a few individuals while trying to film video of the scene.

Indeed, why limit the event to a mere shooting when you can assault some media while you’re there?  Seems a bit counter-productive,  however,  to be harming your supporters.

UpdateOne dead at the Barack Obama-Nancy Pelosi-endorsed movement.

Plus, more from Zombie. And if you’re lucky you get some anniversary cake. Homicide and cake!

The whole world is watching!


More here.

Jordan said two groups of people had gotten into an argument and that someone from one group fired at the other. No arrests have been made, and the dead man’s name has not been released.

Nathan Stalnaker, 29, of Oakland said he had seen several young men surrounding the victim on the ground. They were kicking and punching the man, who was trying to shield his face from the blows, Stalnaker said.

A number of people from the camp came over and tried to break it up, but Stalnaker said one of the assailants then pulled out a gun.

Stalnaker said he didn’t see the shooting but heard several shots.

After the shooting, a number of people from the camp stood in a line and locked their arms, trying to keep onlookers away so Oakland firefighters could tend to the victim, Stalnaker said.

Several longtime Occupy Oakland campers said they did not believe the shooting was related to the encampment.

Wait, did they just say longtime?  Uh, they’ve been there for what, a month?

“What happened is not a symptom of Occupy Oakland,” said protester Fungai Gora, 28. “Crime is a symptom of the city.”

The protesters canceled a “birthday party” that had been scheduled of this evening to commemorate the month-old camp. Many protesters worried about the potential fallout and whether the incident would reflect poorly on the encampment.

Meanwhile, some have had enough.

Councilman Ignacio De La Fuente, who has also called for the camp’s removal, said tonight, “Unfortunately, we will have no excuse for not taking action. This was escalating and was going to happen.

“It doesn’t matter what people say,” De La Fuente said. “This is a result of our inaction, and the mayor is not doing anything. The mayor is absolutely and unequivocally responsible for this.”

Mayor Jean Quan was not immediately available for comment. Before the shooting, Quan said she wanted Occupiers to leave on their own and said any eviction plan had to be “thoughtful.”



One Response to “Shots Fired at Mostly Peaceful Occupy Oakland; Update: One Dead”