NYC Says Protesters With Violent History Were Stockpiling Weapons in Zuccotti Park

Posted by on Nov 15, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Via the Gothamist, it will be interesting to see if this is demonstrated in the court hearing.

Deputy Mayor Cas Holloway filed a motion on behalf of the city today opposing a court order requiring the NYPD to allow Occupy Wall Street demonstrators back into Zuccotti Park. In filing the motion, Holloway asserted that “people who have a known history of violent interaction with the police” have been gathering in the park, and “makeshift items” that he said could be used as weapons, “such as cardboard tubes with metal pipes inside, had been observed among the occupiers’ possessions.” He also noted that after the October 1st Brooklyn Bridge march, “knives, mace and hypodermic needles were observed discarded on the roadway.”

“It was our understanding that the protesters may have had a significant number of items that could potentially be used as weapons,” Halloway writes in the motion, adding that there had been little to no crime in Zuccotti Park before the occupation began, but since there had been “73 misdemeanor and felony complaints” and about 50 arrests. Although the initial order to vacate (see below) promised demonstrators they would be allowed in—though without tents and sleeping bags—Bloomberg is now refusing to comply with the court order, and the park remains closed. A growing throng of demonstrators have gathered around it.

Here’s the filing. A ruling may be issued at 3 pm.

Comments are closed.