Remember when Barry O gave his big speech declaring that once again he had failed at foreign policy and announced that he would be forced to withdraw all the forces out of Iraq because of his inability to negotiate an extension? Well, today there are two conflicting stories regarding the final destination of these soldiers.
The first from The Army Times, which parallels what I thought would happen when the announcement was made was that rather then returning home as the SCOAMF proudly proclaimed, they would simply be moved to Kuwait.
Although all but a small number of U.S. troops will be out of Iraq by the end of the year, they won’t all be home for the holidays as President Obama promised last month.
The Pentagon is poised to move at least 4,000 soldiers from Iraq to Kuwait at the end of the year, pending a final decision expected soon by Pentagon and Kuwaiti leaders, U.S. officials said Wednesday.
On the heels of that report, however, now comes word from Kuwait telling Dear Leader not so fast. They may not be coming home but they ain’t going to be hanging out in Kuwait, either.
The Kuwaiti defense minister has denied reports about plans to bolster U.S. troops in the Gulf emirate after their withdrawal from Iraq by year’s end, local media reported on Monday.
“Not at all. We have [no plan] to relocate U.S. troops to Kuwait or increase their numbers,” Sheikh Jaber Mubarak Al-Sabah was cited as saying by Al-Watan newspaper. “They [U.S. troops] will only pass through Kuwait from Iraq [on their way] to the United States. Their presence is governed by the U.S. Kuwait [defense] pact and nothing will surpass this agreement,” the minister said.